T-7 DAYS UNTIL SCHOOL STARTS!
And jeez, I can’t wait! I’ve officially hit my summer doldrums period, where I don’t have much to do with myself, and the lack of structure is making me crazy. I can’t wait to start classes… I have an awesome schedule this semester:
- HONOR 301H: The Role of Knowledge in Society
- FR 111: Elementary French
- EDTEC 498A: Emerging Web 2.0 Technologies and Learning
- KINES 077: Yoga I (Half semester course)
- ENG 50: Introduction to Creative Writing (Study abroad: 1 week in Paris)
One of my favorite things about Penn State Brandywine is the intimacy of the campus. Although there are no dorms (which makes connecting with peers a little difficult), the size of the school is perfect; students get the opportunity to really know their professors, and, in turn, professors remember their students! I took a required writing course last semester, and the professor is teaching the creative writing class in Paris in November. She’s excited about getting people to come, rallying the troops, so to speak, and it’s just so nice to have that connection, you know?
The honors program at PSU Brandywine is incredible, too. Without the dedication of the honors professors I would not have embarked on this amazing learning QUEST :) I think part of their dedication is the fact that the school is so small, and they can really invest all they have into their students.
The Cooper Honors’ Program Mission: Academic excellence with integrity, building a global awareness, and opportunities for leadership and civic engagements.
Our program provides a real sense of community in a school that does not have on-campus housing. Honors scholars are required to attend different meetings throughout the school year … well, saying “required” makes it seem like a chore … it’s not! The fact that we, as students, meet so often throughout the school year, makes it easy to connect to one another, not only on an academic level, but on a friendly level as well.
Part of the honors program is the Voice of Innovation Seminar Series. Here is a blip about the seminars from the PSU Brandywine Honors Blog:
- The Honors Program presents a seminar series connected to our theme of “leadership and civic engagement.” We have invited to campus organizations that have moved beyond simple volunteering and using a “Band-Aid” fix for community concerns. Honors Scholars, along with the entire campus community, came together to how these organizations are implementing innovative ideas and strategies for creating and maintaining sustained change for populations with an identified need.
- For some reason, tumblr isn’t allowing me to embed the link, so here’s the link for the honors program’s blog: http://www.personal.psu.edu/uxg3/blogs/honors/
This year we have an amazing line-up, including speakers from Canstruction, SCRUB - Public Voice for Public Space, and Urban Tree Connection. I admittedly fell off the bandwagon last year, with my incredibly busy schedule, so I’m excited to get back on board with the seminar series and help out our community!